Pitcher breaks record, can't help 'U' struggles

Despite a record-setting performance from its star pitcher, the MSU softball team endured a rocky start to its Big Ten season this past weekend.

Two losses in a doubleheader at Iowa on Sunday capped a four-game road trip for the Spartans (19-13 overall, 1-3 Big Ten). Before falling to the Hawkeyes (22-15, 4-0), MSU split a pair of games at Illinois, losing, 7-1, in its Big Ten opener on Friday and winning, 2-0, on Saturday. Senior pitcher Jessica Beech (15-9) set a school record on Saturday with the 23rd shutout of her career.

Beech's achievement was of no consolation to the Spartans, who fell hard to Iowa, losing both games, 8-2.

"I was very disappointed with our lack of competitive effort today," head coach Jacquie Joseph said.

Considering Friday's loss to Illinois and the prestige of the Iowa softball program, Joseph called Sunday's doubleheader against the Hawkeyes a "defining moment."

Joseph said the Spartans had been looking forward to Sunday's matchup against Iowa, the defending Big Ten Champions. MSU played the Hawkeyes only once last season, winning, 7-1, at home.

On Sunday, however, the Spartans couldn't generate enough offense to compete with the hard-hitting Hawkeyes, who had 13 hits in each game against MSU.

Joseph said Iowa's offensive explosion came as a bit of a surprise because the Hawkeyes hadn't been hitting well of late.

The Hawkeyes used a four-run third inning to break open the first game. MSU had opportunities to score runs in the first game, but the Spartans couldn't capitalize, as they left 11 runners on base.

After losing the first game, Joseph said it was hard for her team to rebound and mentally prepare for the second game.

The pair of losses puts MSU three games behind Iowa, which is tied with Michigan for first place in the Big Ten.

"Unfortunately, we don't have much time to feel sorry for ourselves," Joseph said. "We need to regroup, and regroup in a hurry. It is still early in the Big Ten season, but it certainly puts Iowa in the driver's seat, and us not."

Senior Nat Furrow, who plays first base, was a combined 2-for-6 on the day with a double and an RBI. She said the team can use the two losses to Iowa as motivation for the rest of the season.

"Overall, it'll be good for us," Furrow said.

Beech was the losing pitcher in both games.

MSU's next game is at 4 p.m. at Central Michigan on Wednesday.

Share and discuss “Pitcher breaks record, can't help 'U' struggles” on social media.