Spartans sweep Valpo

Beech strikes out season-high 12

The softball team congratulates senior outfielder Angel Merren after she scored Saturday. The Spartans won, 10-2. —

Led by senior pitcher Jessica Beech, the MSU softball team launched its home season with a convincing sweep of Valparaiso on Saturday at Old College Field.

The Spartans (17-10) made just one error and registered 15 hits and three home runs in the doubleheader.

"These are the things we need to do," head coach Jacquie Joseph said. "We need to execute our offense. We need to play good defense.

"This is seven straight games in a row of one error or less a game - that's a very important goal for us."

After playing its first 25 games on the road, including a 12-game exhibition in southern California, MSU defeated the Crusaders (4-11) 10-2 in the first game and 4-0 in the second.

The first game started and ended with strength as the Spartans tallied five runs in the first inning and four in the fifth, which ended the game due to a run rule.

Beech, now 13-6, pitched four innings in the first game, allowing no runs and just one hit. She also struck out six players in that game, followed by a season-high of 12 in the second game.

"I didn't even realize it," Beech said. "We each played really well overall. We scored a lot of runs and played really well offensively and defensively. It was just altogether a great performance by the team."

The games were highlighted by a pair of home runs from freshman third baseman Dayna Feenstra, who homered once in each game, and another by senior outfielder Angel Merren.

"It felt great," Merren said. "I just go for the fence every time and sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't."

Merren finished the day with three hits, three RBI and two stolen bases.

The pace in the second game slowed down after a four-run first inning starting with a single-to-center from Beech.

Senior first baseman Nat Furrow brought in Beech with a double-to-left and senior third baseman Brittney Green walked to put two on base. Feenstra then cleared the bases with her second homer of the day to push the score to 4-0, where it would remain for the rest of the game.

"We kind of fell into a low," Merren said. "That's when you've got to be the best - play the best - when you find yourself in a sand trap like that."

The team recorded three stolen bases and no errors. Beech pitched all seven innings, allowing no walks and just three hits.

"You have not seen Jessica Beech's best yet," Joseph said. "She's very, very good and part of what we're trying to do is get her completely ready for what she has to do.

"We're very happy with where she's at but, believe it or not, she's still not been her absolute best yet."

MSU continues play with a double-header at Detroit on Wednesday, followed by the Big Ten season-opener Friday at Illinois. Joseph said she is confident the team can continue its four-game win streak.

"I feel really good about where we're at and what we're doing," Joseph said. "I think we're doing a lot of really good things right now and we're looking forward to keep it going in opening the Big Ten."

Share and discuss “Spartans sweep Valpo” on social media.