Tigers spoil day for 'The Rocket'

Yankees ace Roger Clemens tracks his pitch Sunday at Comerica Park in Detroit. Clemens' bid for his 300th career victory fell short when he left in the sixth inning with an 8–6 lead and the Tigers falled in the seventh to tie it. —

Detroit - Professional baseball's worst robbed a milestone from its best on Sunday.

Dubbed "The Rocket" for his fiery fastball, New York Yankee starting pitcher Roger Clemens was set to earn his 300th win but the Tigers spoiled the day. Clemens left with the lead but Detroit rallied from a 7-1 deficit in the fifth inning to pull ahead 8-7 and end Clemens' celebration.

But The Rocket didn't seem to mind.

"Not at all," Clemens said when asked if he was disappointed. "There are some guys disappointed inside (the clubhouse). Some of the relievers are a little upset. It will be great to get it over with and move on to something else."

Detroit had much to celebrate, however - it was the club's first six-run comeback in three years.

"We're glad that Roger is going to have to do it somewhere else," Tigers manager Alan Trammell said.

After remaining deadlocked at eight through 17 innings, New York second baseman Alfonso Soriano let loose a two-run bomb to give the Yankees (33-23) a 10-9 victory.

It was Clemens' second attempt at the elusive win, which would have made him just the 21st hurler in Major League Baseball history to reach the benchmark.

Baseball enthusiasts from around the country flocked to Comerica Park, 3100 Woodward Ave., in Detroit, in hopes of glimpsing the feat. The 44,095 in attendance shattered the park's previous single-game record by nearly 3,000.

Clemens and fans alike left the ballpark with a sour taste after New York defense committed three errors in the fourth inning, leading to five Tiger runs. The Yankees bobbled plays on four different occasions during the game - the most since July 24, 2001.

"You've got a 7-1 lead and Roger on the hill, that's icing on the cake," said David Wells (7-2), who got his 192nd career win in his first relief appearance since 1993.

"It's just a shame because we thought it was in the bag. All the sudden, an error here and there, they got back in the game."

The Rocket also failed to secure a win in his last start on Monday in a loss to Boston, Clemens' former team. More than half (192) of Clemens' 299 wins came while playing for the Red Sox. After retiring the first three batters in order, Clemens faltered, and Boston tagged him for eight runs over the next 5 2/3 innings.

Many considered it probable the Yankee flame-thrower would see 300 while visiting the Tigers - especially after New York had built a six-run cushion. It was while in Detroit in 1996 that Clemens notched a career-high by retiring a record 20 Tigers while pitching a complete-game shutout.

On Sunday, Clemens sent six Tigers packing in as many innings on the mound. Despite falling short once again in his quest for 300, the 40-year-old right-hander is now a mere nine strikeouts shy of the 4,000 mark. Only two pitchers in MLB history have been able to accomplish the act -

Share and discuss “Tigers spoil day for 'The Rocket'” on social media.