Spartans dismantle Saints, 14-6

After struggling to muster runs the past three games, the Spartans' bats were smoking Tuesday afternoon.

MSU tallied 16 hits en route to a 14-6 beating of Siena Heights.

The Spartans (12-24 overall, 4-10 Big Ten) jumped out to a quick early lead - a 9-0 advantage after two innings - MSU manager Ted Mahan emptied his bench at the start of the third inning.

"It was good to get the bats going early," Mahan said. "We got to play a lot of guys that haven't been playing."

Sophomore right fielder Travis Gulick led the offensive barrage, going 3-for-3 with a pair of doubles, two RBIs and two runs scored. Junior first baseman Scott Koerber, freshman shortstop Alan Cattrysse and freshman second baseman Brandon Volas each added two hits a piece.

Sophomore right-hander Jon Kowalski was impressive, too. He (1-0) pitched four scoreless innings with three strikeouts and allowed two hits.

Kowalski's performance was particularly impressive considering he was making his first start in more than 1 1/2 years. He had right shoulder surgery and had only pitched 2 2/3 innings this season before Tuesday.

"It really felt good to be out there," Kowalski said. "It's been so long. It helped that everyone was making plays behind me. My slider was really working. I probably threw about 85 percent sliders."

The Spartans, coming off a disappointing weekend against Michigan where they only scored three runs in the last three games, were determined to score more runs against the Saints (14-32).

MSU jumped on the board with three quick runs in the first inning. The second inning proved to be the insurance frame.

With one out, the five consecutive Spartans reached base. Senior designated hitter Brady Burrill began the scoring by lacing a two-run single to left field. After the second out of the inning, the next three Spartans recorded RBIs.

The Saints began making it close with three runs in the fifth and three more in the seventh, but the Spartans nullified any hope of a comeback with two more insurance runs in the eighth.

"It was hard for us hitters because their pitchers weren't throwing many strikes," Gulick said. "But when they did, we took advantage. We didn't play like we wanted to this weekend, so we came out with a little fire today."

MSU plays Central Michigan at 7 p.m. today at Oldsmobile Park, 505 E. Michigan Ave.

Share and discuss “Spartans dismantle Saints, 14-6” on social media.