Junior hurler relishes unorthodox release

Bryan Gale thrives on being one-of-a-kind.

The junior right-hander's pitching style is what puts him in a class of his own on the mound. That style includes the ability to throw a seemingly endless number of different pitches because of his arm motion.

The Decatur, Mich., native will occasionally throw over the top. Just as often, he might slightly drop his arm, using a three-quarter motion. But most of the time, Gale will sling the ball sidearm, occasionally throwing in a submarine-style toss to keep opposing batters on their toes.

Gale said he doesn't mind being different. In fact, he revels on having a vast repertoire.

"I was never that guy that came out and threw 90 (mph)," Gale said. "Coming out of a small high school, throwing 82 or 83 (mph) over the top, you're not going to get many offers."

So Gale made the adjustment and MSU came calling. The transition from to college required an adjustment, though.

In his 2001 freshman year, he took a back seat to a then-loaded Spartan pitching staff for the first chunk of the season.

MSU manager Ted Mahan used Gale as a middle reliever, but after 15 support appearances, Mahan realized the hidden gem was too talented not to start.

Gale started six times to close out the season, finishing with a 9-1 record. His final statistical line included three complete games, two saves, a 3.53 ERA and 59 strikeouts in 63 2/3 innings.

"My first start kind of introduced me to college baseball," Gale said.

The fantastic freshman season got him national recognition, earning him Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American honors. It also garnered him the No. 1 spot in MSU's rotation for his 2002 sophomore season - a year he would finish 8-4 with four complete games, a 4.77 ERA and 72 strikeouts.

It's no secret that MSU baseball has staggered out of the gates this season en route to its 12-25 record, but things could be much worse if the No. 1 starter didn't take the mound every Friday.

Mahan said Gale just has that spark.

"He's just different," Mahan said. "We'd be having a bad season without Bryan. Heck, we're not having a good season as it is, so without him, things could be even worse. I'd like to have more players like him."

Through his nine starts this year, Gale has amassed a 5-4 record, but his 2.98 ERA proves his record is misleading.

The drop in MSU's offense has meant less run support for the big right-hander. In his first three losing decisions, the Spartans gave him eight runs of support - combined.

"It was a little different last year, as far as our hitters putting up eight or nine runs a game," he said. "It was much easier to pitch in those situations. Now, I just have to go out there and try to put up a zero and shut people down for nine innings."

His only poor outing of the year came against Minnesota in the Big Ten opener. He lasted five innings, giving up 10 hits, allowing all eight Golden Gopher runs.

"There's no doubt he could be 8-1 right now," Mahan said. "He's pitched great in all but one start."

Senior catcher Brady Burrill, the target for Gale's entire career, said that win-loss record aside, baseball doesn't see pitchers like Gale very often.

"He can throw any pitch, in any situation, for a strike," Burrill said. "He doesn't throw hard and it just proves what it takes to be a good pitcher. He makes the best of hitters look bad."

Gale will take the mound 3 p.m. Friday when the Spartans are scheduled to kick off a four-game series with the last-place Hawkeyes (11-19 overall, 3-12 Big Ten) at Kobs Field.

Share and discuss “Junior hurler relishes unorthodox release” on social media.