Pitching to be strength of baseball team

Sophomore pitcher Tim Day anticipates a pitch at batting practice Monday at IM Sports-West. —

Following a season in which five single-season offensive records were destroyed, the MSU baseball team will have to find new ways to win if it hopes to build on the success it had in 2002.

The Spartans established new highs in hits (685), doubles (126), runs (500), RBI (456) and home runs (95) in 2002. The single-season home run mark set last year demolished the old record of 59 set back in 1994.

But 56 of those 95 dingers have been lost to graduation and an early departure.

And although last season was a banner year for the offense, head coach Ted Mahan says a lot of the credit for last season's 38-19 record goes to the players that were on the mound.

"People overlook our pitching. It was solid," he said. "Our pitchers gave our hitters the opportunity to stay in the game.

"We don't need to win 16-4. We have a solid lineup. We can win 7-4, 6-4."

While the offense, which led the Big Ten with a .344 batting average, took a huge hit, the pitching staff returns three starters from last season.

Sophomore pitcher Tim Day had an outstanding rookie campaign, leading the team with an 11-3 record, while posting a respectable 3.21 ERA in 16 appearances.

"Last year, I was just hoping I could play," Day said. "I don't think any freshman goes in thinking he's gonna play as well as I did."

Junior pitcher Bryan Gale tallied an 8-4 record, fanning 72 batters, and senior pitcher Pat Gill won a career-best six games in 52 innings of work last year.

"These three guys will get lots of starts," Mahan said. "I think we have potentially two No. 1s in Gale and Day. But, collectively, I think our three guys can match up with anybody."

Mahan knows his pitching staff won't be able to make every batter whiff each time out.

But he said the defense will eventually become one of the team's strengths.

"With the guys we have, I think that's as talented a group I've ever coached," Mahan said.

While the pitching and defense are set to be the strong points of the team, the offense is a wildcard.

"If (senior catcher Brady Burrill) stays healthy, he could have an excellent year," Mahan said. "(Freshman shortstop Alan Cattrysse) won't hit for power, but I think he'll perform well. He's probably the only freshman who's going to start the year off making an impact."

Cattrysse was picked by Baseball America as preseason Big Ten Freshman of the Year.

Burrill saw limited time last season behind the plate. But when he was on the field, he was impressive, batting .414 in 99 at-bats in 28 games.

And while Mahan and his team might be looking to Burrill to lead, the catcher is trying to not put too much pressure on himself.

"I know the guys are looking at me to lead the team, but I'm just trying to relax," Burrill said. "And I think I lead more by example. I'm not much of a vocal guy."

While the nonconference schedule is vital, the Big Ten schedule is set to determine whether the team is ready to move into the upper echelon of college baseball teams.

Mahan said Minnesota, which won the conference championship in 2002, and Ohio State are the most consistent teams in the Big Ten. And while the Spartans finished third in conference play with a 16-12 record, Mahan knows it will be a dogfight throughout the Big Ten season.

"Our league is very balanced," he said. "Last season we went 2-5 against the two worst teams, but we think we can finish in the upper half if we stay healthy."

After winning the second-most games in school history, Mahan said he thinks his team has developed a winning attitude that should help them during the season, as the team is hoping to make its first appearance in the NCAA Tournament since 1979.

"Winning breeds winning," he said. "We expect to win and I think our program is in that position to move to that next level."

Share and discuss “Pitching to be strength of baseball team” on social media.