East All Stars claim title, 2 Lugnuts move to Single A in Daytona

Lansing Lugnuts pitcher Eric Brown releases the ball during the second inning of the East All-Stars vs. West All-Stars game at Oldsmobile Park on Tuesday night. The East beat the West, 6-3. —

Lansing - In the 38th annual Midwest League All-Star Game the East All-Stars defeated the West All-Stars 6-3 Tuesday night at Oldsmobile Park.

In the seven-year history of the Lansing Lugnuts, the team has played host to three All-Star games. In the third, Tuesday, 10,334 fans showed up at Oldsmobile to set a Midwest All-Star game record.

The Eastern Division, which is home to the Lugnuts, has won five of the last eight matchups.

“This is the first time I’ve been here in two years,” 17-year-old Fowler resident Zac Gilland. “Last time I went there weren’t hardly any people.

“There were a lot of kids running around going crazy.”

Lansing received more good news as it renewed its contract with the Chicago Cubs through 2004.

The East led 2-0 until Cedar Rapids catcher Jeff Mathis drilled a two-run homer to tie the game in the top of the sixth inning.

In the bottom of the sixth inning the East regained the lead. Lansing reserve first baseman Brad Bouras ignited the charge with a lead-off single. Michigan designated hitter Steve Checksfield did the rest, scoring Bouras on an RBI-triple off the railing in left field.

The shot gave the East a 3-2 lead, and Checksfield later scored on Michigan reserve shortstop Ryan Stegall’s RBI-single. Checksfield’s run proved to be the winning run.

“You know they are going to want to throw you their best stuff,” Checksfield said. “And in this league, most of the time it’s a fastball and I like that pitch. That’s the first thing I’m looking for and I was able to get it tonight.”

The West manufactured its last run in the top of the seventh, but the East answered with the game’s final two runs in the bottom of the inning.

It was Bouras and Checksfield teaming up again for the East final surge. Bouras scored Clinton reserve second baseman Greg Thissen on a sacrifice fly, then Checksfield scored Lansing reserve left fielder Antoine Cameron on an RBI-double to right-center.

Checksfield finished 3-for-4 with two RBIs and a run scored. He took home All-Star MVP honors.

“Just to come here and play with the best guys in the league is a great honor,” Checksfield said. “To come here and have a game like I had tonight gives me a great feeling.”

Not everyone could say the same, including Lansing right fielder J.J. Johnson, who finished 0-for-4. In the bottom of the second, with one out and a runner on second, Johnson flied out to left. In the fourth with a man on third, Johnson grounded out to end the inning.

The game certainly wasn’t a pitching duel, as the two teams combined to use 24 pitchers on the night. Western Michigan right-hander Jerrod Fuell picked up the win after just one-third of an inning of work.

Cameron, who will be promoted to Daytona after the break, said the game was a good going away present.

Right-hander Eric Brown also will be promoted to Daytona. In his final appearance at Oldsmobile, he faced two batters striking out one and allowing a hit.

“It felt great,” Cameron said. “Batting 1.000 in an all-star game, you can’t get any better than that. I got to say goodbye to everybody. It’s the best way to go out.”

Share and discuss “East All Stars claim title, 2 Lugnuts move to Single A in Daytona” on social media.