Spartans split doubleheader with Illinois, look ahead to Sunday

Lansing residents and 1939 Illinois graduates Arthur Brown and Carol Stream, Illinois resident Bill Blomquist watch as Johnny Spirit encourages them to sing the Fighting Illini fight song during the MSU’s doubleheader with Illinois on Saturday. The teams split the two games. —

The MSU baseball team split a Saturday doubleheader against Illinois at Kobs Field.

The Spartans (29-13 overall, 11-10 Big Ten) won game one 3-2, then fell to the Fighting Illini (26-13, 10-11) 8-4 in game two.

MSU entered the doubleheader averaging more than eight runs a ballgame, but failed to score a combined eight runs on the day.

The Split came after Illinois took Friday’s series opener 3-2.

“We haven’t been getting the run support we usually do lately,” senior pitcher Nick Bates said. “But the pitchers have to pick up our hitters sometimes, and we’re not doing that.”

Despite only three runs from his team, Bates (9-2) picked up the win in game one. The right-hander threw a complete game, four-hitter, to pull within one game of tying the MSU single-season wins mark. Illini right-hander Josh Gold (2-2) picked up the loss.

With 13 games remaining on the schedule, Bates should get at least two more chances to become just the fourth pitcher in Spartan baseball history to accomplish the feat.

MSU’s last 10-game winner was Stuart Hirschman (10-3) in 1992. Rob Clancy (10-1) in 1971 and Dick Radatz (10-1) in 1959 are the only other Spartans to reach the 10-win plateau.

Bates’ quest to claim his spot in the Spartan record books started slow. He gave up a first-pitch home run to Illini catcher Patrick Arlis in the top of the first inning.

The two-out blast over the left field wall gave Illinois a quick 1-0 lead.

“It was just one pitch,” Bates said. “I knew it was a bad pitch.”

MSU answered quickly, posting two in the bottom of the inning on back-to-back RBIs from junior designated hitter Bob Malek and senior center fielder Chris McCuiston.

Illinois tied the game on a sacrifice fly in the second, but Bates settled down and only allowed two hits in the final five innings to smother any Illini rally.

Freshman catcher Jim Duffy put the Spartans ahead for good on a solo shot over the left field wall to lead off the bottom of the third. It was his fifth blast of the season.

Bates said picking up the win to start the doubleheader was nice, but added becoming a 10-game winner isn’t a priority for him.

“I’d rather watch one of my teammates pick up a win than worry about that,” Bates said.

Bates’ wish went unanswered in game two, as Illinois capitalized on four Spartan errors to steal the momentum early.

Despite giving up no earned runs, freshman right-hander Tim Day (7-3) and the Spartans found themselves down 4-0 in the middle of the fifth inning. All four of the Illini runs came on an error, or after an error prolonged the inning.

To make matters worse, Illinois right-hander Tim Gorski was in the midst of a no-hitter.

“I don’t think anybody is going to no-hit us,” senior shortstop Jared Koutnik said. “One through nine, we can hit.”

The Spartans proved Koutnik right, exploding for four runs in the bottom of the fifth. But with the score tied, Illinois responded with three more runs in the top of the sixth to kill MSU’s rally.

“After we tied it up we felt like we took their best punch,” Koutnik said. “What can I say, the errors killed us.”

Errors ultimately cost MSU the game and saddled Day with the loss. His pitched 5.1 innings and gave up six runs, including only two earned. Illinois right-hander Dave Mazurek (1-1) picked up the win after 2.1 innings of relief.

The Spartans conclude their series with Illinois at noon Sunday.

“We have to win (Sunday) just to stay afloat and make the playoffs,” Spartan manager Ted Mahan said. “All we can do now is play for the split.

Share and discuss “Spartans split doubleheader with Illinois, look ahead to Sunday” on social media.