Spartans fall at home to Falcons

Senior second baseman Jared Koutnik slides safely into second after an attempt to steal third at Kobs Field on Wednesday. Bowling Green won the game 7-6. —

The last home game of the season ended in disappointment for the MSU baseball team.

The Spartans (32-17 overall, 12-12 Big Ten) lost 7-6 to the Bowling Green Falcons (27-20) on Wednesday at Kobs Field.

MSU entered the sixth inning up 6-2, then proceeded to give up back-to-back home runs to tie the game. The first, a three-run blast over the right center-field wall, pulled Bowling Green within one. Then a solo-shot from right fielder Len Elias tied the game at six.

Giving up the go-ahead run in the eighth inning, senior left-hander Kyle Geswein (2-3) picked up the loss in two innings of work.

“Today meant absolutely nothing,” Spartan manager Ted Mahan said. “Sure it was a loss, but it doesn’t affect our standings.”

Despite the best regular-season record since 1992, the Spartans are sitting at fifth in the Big Ten standings. With the four-game series at Penn State (22-25, 11-15) this weekend being the last of the regular-season, MSU must remain in the top six to earn a bid to the Big Ten Tournament on May 22-25.

Senior right-hander Pat Gill (5-3) started for the Spartans on Wednesday, and earned a no decision after 3.2 innings of work.

Gill started the game strong, going three scoreless innings before letting the Falcons on the board in the fourth.

As the designated hitter, Geswein hit a solo-shot in the second to draw first blood. His 11th home run of the season was followed by a three-run third inning.

In the loss, junior right fielder Bob Malek tied the single-season school record for doubles with 19.

“It would have felt a lot better if I’d got 20,” Malek said. “But it still feels great, and I’ll hopefully get 20 this weekend against Penn State.”

After scoring four runs in the first three innings, things looked good for MSU. Falcons starting pitcher Tom Oestrike (3-1) was pulled, but Bowling Green utilized six different relief pitchers to patch together the win. Right-hander Ryan Lindquist (3-2) picked up the win for the Falcons after an inning of work.

“We didn’t play well today, but you’ve got to take it one game at a time,” Malek said. “We’re looking forward to having a good series this weekend and feel very confident with ourselves as a team.”

MSU last appeared in the Big Ten Tournament in 1994.

“I remember it like it was yesterday, and unfortunately we lost two straight,” Mahan said. “It would be nice to go again and hopefully do better this time around.”

Share and discuss “Spartans fall at home to Falcons” on social media.